5/17/2012

First Year In LCC

                                           




     We are asked to write a summary about first year experience as a graphic design student. In the following part, I will look back the whole year to reflect on the important projects and things I have learned in my first year.

                                              
                 About Blog Project

    The first task I consistently do in the first year as a graphic design student was to write my own design blog. In the beginning of the construction, I was a little struggling with the images and words. The post seemed not cooperate together. I had never did this before that I should take my blog as a “show space” to convey the professional ideas and design it professionally. I have no idea who my audiences are? How to attract them? I have no clear way that how to promote myself in the professional and attractive way?   
     In the beginning of experimentation on my blog, I updated some things inspired me, such as illustration, music, and dance.  Now, when I looked back the previous posts, I really could see the changes take place gradually in the whole process. The first important thing I have learned is that sometimes one or two final images are dull. I realized the showing the process is an intriguing thing. Sometimes, research methods and work process could be outcomes themselves. Then I knew why I always like dance and music. It’s such an inspiration and fresh insight to think things differently. I have got huge inspiration from this previous post- the beauty of the process. Link 01: beauty of the process
    Apart from document inspirations and the researches and experimentations, the other important thing tends to show my own work to share with the other people. The design need to be shared and circulated. The second thing I get improved during the process of updating the blog is that I found my passion in the illustration field. I get lots of inspirations from some European illustrators, such as Link 02: Illustrators    
    I want to be a professional illustrator with unique visual voice. Therefore, I need to practice, practice and practice. Apart from the course projects I also did some initiated illustrative work. This is my sketch experimentations blog  Sketch experimentation
    In summary, blog project is a documenting space, which shows my progress during the projects. It’s a ‘fun space” I can play with as well. Recently, I am experimenting on the motion images.


                 About GDF Project

   This was the first project I did in the first year.  The most important thing I have learned is I need to pay more attention on the layout design and keep the context more cohesive. Time is always not enough. It pushed me to work more rapidly and efficiently. I learned how to copy with stress, learn to self – management more efficiently. When I looked back to this project, I could see the growing interest in process.


                About GDA Project

    First year really tend to be lots of hard work, but fun! The important thing I have learned from this particular project seemed to study on visualizing the ideas. Therefore drawing technique and imagination plays a big role in this project. I studied on storyboard, and it need to be developed in deeper dimension. The other thing I realized seems that the presentation is important. It's not just about describing ideas by some printed sheets. The presentation needs imagination as well. I just learned I could use different media to be narrative, such as 3D mode, video, sound, and performance. In this aspect, I do need improved. Moreover, the second part of GDA project developed my problem-sloving skills. In the mapping part, I just got inspiration from the book of David Hockney - " That's Way I See It "
    In summary, during the GDA project I learned how design would work in the real world.  The presentations from classmates extended my horizon.


               About Major Project

   As for the latest project – Major Project, one hundred outcomes could be really stressful. But on the other hand it would offer more free and room for much more experimentations. The huge quantity pushes me to think more, do more, and improve more. The big potential of it makes me exciting about the creating things. I think it is a great opportunity to be experimental and creative as many as possible. Doing a degree is about embracing something I've never done and challenge myself. Don't play safe. In this project, I will try different things, such as the shot animation and pop up illustration. These are the some experimental I did during the process.






    During the research, I got huge inspiration from Studio Glithero. Although it is not a graphic design studio, its values still inspired me a lot.  It changed the way I see design and make me discover the beauty of process.  The other inspiration is Carl Kleiner. His design is sensible and highly in order. Moreover, the other important thing I had learned is that design is a tool to convey certain opinion. It is not just to beautified the images of products. A designer needs to face some real issues, such as political issues, economy issues and environmental problems. In this project I would take those things into the considerations.
    Another thing matter to me is I study different research methods. I have more clear view and clue that what I am going to do.


              Life Outside The College

    Apart from learning things from the class, I do enjoy the versatile culture in London. The museums, galleries, workshops are fascinating. I especially enjoyed the Friday night event in the V&A. It is a great opportunity to see the professional people in art and design industry. And see how they work. I was happy to see some great designers, such as Studio Glithero. Their speech is so inspiring.
    I also get influence from my friends. I have a friend study in branding.  In recent days, branding is such an important thing, especially for the designers. Therefore, it got me thinking what is my visual style? What is my personal symbol? Artists such as Grayson Perry and Julie verhoeven, they have strong visual identity. I think the first thing I do is that I will treat my blog as a pop and experimental brand. I will make it more altercative and creative.  There’s long way to go and a lots of things need to be tested.


                  In The Future

     I want to be a professional illustrator. I will continue practicing my drawing techniques and creative thinking; learning more knowledge; developing my personal style; continuing my blog construction.  



No comments:

Post a Comment